Friday 8 July 2016

It's Just Skating By On Nostalgia


We downloaded Pokemon Go at it's release this week and overall I'm a little disappointed. I was so looking forward to it, come on a new format for a game that's been around for years, and this time it'll only be the original 151. I personally grew away from Pokemon after the first additional Pokemon were added.

Okay I'm just going to do a bit of a pro's and con's list because I haven't been able to experience all the game has to offer, and there are some pro's.

Pro's - The original Pokemon are back and this time are the only focus
         - It does encourage people to get out and about around your town or city (this could be a Con though because it is a game aimed at children)
         - Ummmmm, the augmented reality is kind of ........ cool?

Now the Con's - There isn't a Gym in my town, it's a population centre of 22,000 people and no place to experience the rest of the game.
                         - There is no interaction between players, you can't share or swap Pokemon between people, or even battle between players.
                         - And talking about battling from what I've read (no gym to try for myself) you don't control your Pokemon when battling at a gym beyond a dodge function (by swiping left or right)


                         - Your Pokemon aren't used to help catch other Pokemon, there's no fighting to weaken a Pokemon before catching, it's just a mini game of throwing a Pokeball like a paper toss game.
                         - There's no strategy in the game any more, it's all justa  random probability engine combined with pretty pictures of things we're all nostalgic for.
                         - The Pokemon evolve from candy instead of through hard work experience and training (as far as I know, no gym remember)
                         - Currency. You are provided with ZERO coins to buy things. As far as we can tell, you can only get these coins buy shelling out REAL currency. I mean at least flick us a few coins as we achieve things in the game. Come on.

I'm persevering with the game for now but I'm pretty sure I'll be bored with it and stop playing as soon as I have the Pokemon I am looking forward too because there doesn't seem to be any goal.

                                                                                                       MAT
            

No comments:

Post a Comment