Monday 11 April 2016

SUICIDE SQUAD Trailer 3 "Blitz"

 

 


Ok. This is me right now.

So after a somewhat disappointing Bats vs Supes, I have been worried about Suicide Squad. I am a massive fan of Suicide Squad and of Harley Quinn (yes, even the New 52 Harley, haters. I love her) so I have been scared that the source material wouldn't be honoured. After this trailer, I'm putting most of my concerns to rest.

WOW.
So if you haven't watched it, here's clip, courtesy of the Warner Bros. UK YouTube



I'll leave my ranting and raving about Harley Quinn until last, as that will be a bit of a spiel.
Let's talk about the construction of the trailer. The editors of this and the last trailer (you know, the Bohemian Rhapsody one) are masterful. Ballroom Blitz and You Don't Own Me? Hell yeah, great choices. They've managed to piece together enough action without giving away all the good bits. There's enough character that the general 'movie going public' (i.e. not geeks) will get an idea of the motley crew without us knowing what the entire plot is. Unlike the last DC movies' marketing...sigh.

So, for the geeks in the world, what do we know from this, and previous trailers:

  • We get a Harley Quinn origin story (*squee*)
  • Joker is NOT part of the squad
  • Joker and Harley are probably not on the best of terms at the moment
  • This is the squad's first mission
What we don't know:
  • How is Bats involved? Flashbacks only? Helping out the Squad?
  • How far along Harley's timeline (comics wise) this is
  • Which Katana mythology they have gone with. Is her power derived from the spirit of her dead husband that is possessing her sword?
  • Enchantress's story
  • Captain Boomerang. Has he had run-ins with the Flash? Is he part of the Rogues yet?
  • We still know shit about Slipknot (potential cannon fodder?)
  • Will there be the appropriate amount of fan service in this flick? Not just the odd Ferris Air sign or LexCorp logo.
This is a never ending list really.

Characters - What We Love So Far

Killer Croc
The initial "leaked" photos of the croc make up made Mat and I look nervously at each other and think that this might be a very bad choice. I'm happy to report that now, after seeing 3 trailers, that the look of Croc is on point!!!
We are also big fans of Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje. Seriously, if you haven't seen the TV show "Oz", do yourself a favour and binge watch that shit. He's AMAZING.


Rick Flagg
Finally, in the 3rd trailer, we got to see some Rick Flagg action.
How the hell was it so hard to cast this role? I mean, he's an awesome character, and a crucial part of the Suicide Squad story. I'm hoping the script is true to character for him (and everyone else obviously), but with so many people who reportedly turned down the role as they didn't like the character's arc...
I'm still hopeful.
He kicked ass in this trailer.





Amanda Waller
Nobody screws the Wall
Arguably the toughest bitch in the DCU, we were both SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad that the casting rumours about Oprah taking on Waller turned out to be false. In the trailers she looks like the hard ass she really is.
Viola Davis should crush it as Amanda Waller and I hope the filmmakers being the magic of the comic and animated DC Waller to the big screen. This character deserves the proper treatment.

Captain Boomerang
Oh Digger, you're so awesome.
It might be my Aussie Pride talking, but I'm so glad Boomer is in this movie. Such a great character. See "Batman: Assualt on Arkham" the animated movie to get a little taste of the humour. Seeing the 'beer cracking' moment in trailer 2 was one of the highlights for me so far. I think I actually snort laughed. I love his little flirtations with Harley and Katana too. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Deadshot
He's such a badass. Ok, I'm not a massive fan of the casting here. Not that I hate Will Smith. I think he's awesome. Do I think he's Deadshot though? Nope. Was I convinced by what I've seen in the trailers that he could be Deadshot? Nope. Now, Mat is a little more pro-Will than I am. And I do see his point but I just can't get past the perfect depiction in Assault on Arkham. I've been spoiled by the high quality of Warner Brothers Animation.
Mat thinks that Will Smith is always cast as Will Smith. That's the character he plays. If he was to play Deadshot as a sarcastic version of his character in "I Am Legend", that would be pretty spot on. I was wrong about Batfleck, so maybe I'll be wrong here too and he'll do an awesome job. I hope so.

Enchantress, El Diablo, Slipknot
I know of Enchantress from Justice League Dark, and El Diablo from the New 52 Suicide Squad, but I haven't read anything with Slipknot so I really can't judge him.
Enchantress and El Diablo look freakin awesome. The effects look believable, thank god, and they look very true to character. I feel like I just don't know enough about them to really give an opinion.

Harley Quinn
Ok, brace yourselves. This is my girl, so this might get a bit crazy. Go get a cup of tea. I'll wait.

You good? Ok let's get into it.
I was honestly worried when I saw the first trailer. The accent wasn't Harley, she had a new style, hmmm, I didn't know. But now...my god, Margot looks like she's doing an AMAZING job as Harley. The scripting and delivery of the lines are spot on. I'm fully expecting to see the transition of Harley from Harleen to Harley Quinn with the Joker to Harley Quinn no longer needing the Joker. How they'll achieve that, well, that remains to be seen.
Ever since the movie was announced and we knew that the Joker was going to be a part of the film in more than just an 'origin story' capacity, I've hoped that they are going to tell the Joker/Harley story from New 52 Suicide Squad #15, part of the Death Of The Family arc. It is beyond question, my favourite issue of Suicide Squad. To see those scenes done well in live action would blow people's minds. Including my own.
THIS! This would be EPIC!
A little bit of guilty fan service, but I would be so SO happy if they included Bud and Lou. For those unfamiliar, those are Harley's pet Hyenas. That's right, you heard me. Pet Hyenas.
Damn she loves those puppies.
In Suicide Squad #15, she's forced to kill her "babies" as the Joker has transformed them into rabid beasts.
It becomes just another reason she wants to kill her once beloved "puddin".

It's an amazing, action packed sequence that really makes you feel for Harley and the continued torture she endures from Joker.

Plus, I just really want to see Harley and Joker kicking the snot out of each other.


I am SO looking forward to this movie and I hope it doesn't disappoint. I also hope there are no further trailers. This is enough to get the fanboys/fangirls, as well as the general public, chomping at the bit. Nom Nom Nom.



Until next time,

YAHTZEE!!!

Jamie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment