Monday 18 April 2016

Priorities



Priorities are funny things aren't they, I'd originally thought once I'd established my priorities they'd be set in stone forever, which worked for me for a long time, but how wrong was I.

I knew, or at least I'd said out loud, being a father would change my life. It had just never sunk in in any way shape or form. Right up until he came into this world it was all fun and games 'this will be great', 'I'll help you out so much'  but I'd never gotten excited, I just assumed that would come later(which it did). ...........   ok I have started getting off topic, the point is he wasn't on my radar of priorities. Since about 2003 I set up my priority hierarchy in my head and stuck to it firmly, no exceptions, no substitutions. It went - Jamie's happiness - career/ financial goals - then things I enjoy - followed by family. This was it anything else I didn't really care about. I just it let happen as long as it didn't interfere with my real priorities. This system worked for me, 12 years this was the way I chose what needed doing or achieving, I always assumed Connor would just fall under the Jamie's happiness banner, but not take a precedence of his own.


And it's not just a new addition to the priorities list either, new things have made their way onto the list which were never there before like sleep - I used to have a motto of sleep is for the weak or I'll sleep when I'm dead - not any more, it's become a precious commodity. But one I'm more than willing to give up way to easily when I hear bub crying or the like.

I liked the old way, things were simple, although now life gets more exciting until the new priorities are set in stone again, I may just be rambling at this point; every time we think there's a routine in place Connor changes it up and smashes my sanity to bits. I'm sure I'll have a more coherent thought on this topic once I catch some much needed sleep.

                                                                 MAT  

No comments:

Post a Comment