Sunday 24 April 2016

Collecting Celebrity Hugs


Hi Everyone,


So, now we have Connor in our lives this won't happen as often, but over the last few years I have been quite the collector of celebrity hugs.

What the hell am I going on about?

Well, on my first visit to San Diego Comic Con in 2013, I was hugged by John Barrowman (Dr. Who, Torchwood) and Manu Bennett (Arrow, Hobbit films, Spartacus).

When we returned in 2014, we also stopped by LA and went to two shows at the Hollywood Improv. So my list of huggers got WAY bigger. In 2014 we also went to a con on the Gold Coast (Australia) and I went to one in Sydney.

2015 was our final San Diego trip, since Connor was about to enter our lives, the last hug opportunity for a while.


So, I've been constructing this post for a few days and I think I'll need to break this up into a few entries as I'm planning on posting all the photos. Too many to mention!

So,

SAN DIEGO COMIC CON 2013 - Popping our Comic Con cherry

ok, wow. If you've never been to SDCC, you need to. If you have any shred of geek flowing through your veins, this place is paradise. A sweaty, smelly, brightly coloured paradise. So photos of my hugs...here we go.

John Barrowman
I got greedy and wanted to see him twice so we lined up for an autograph and scored an "over the shoulder" hug, then I got the professional shot done a few hours later. What was awesome was that he initiated the hug *squee*. Called me sweetheart too! Bless his gorgeous heart!



Manu Bennett
This was totally by chance. We had gone to the Season 2 preview panel of Arrow and were shocked that not only did we get in just before it started (seriously, where the hell was everyone?) but that Manu wasn't on the panel. We knew he was about to be Deathstroke in this upcoming season, but he wasn't featured. So as we were leaving the panel, we stopped by his booth to say hi, grab an autograph and a selfie, for course. Oh my god, if he isn't the nicest guy we've met at a con. He recognised our accents immediately and asked where we were from (specifically, not just Australia). Stunned, he told us he used to play football as a teenager just one town over, and that his sister currently lives in the same town as us! Small freakin world.
We had a chat for a good 10-15 minutes while people behind us got a bit shirty (sorry). We told him our thoughts about him not being on the panel and it turns out he actually wasn't invited :(
He said he really appreciated our support after we told him how we were so happy to see some Australian/New Zealand representation in US television, especially where they are allowed to keep a genuine accent. Not all of us sound like Steve Irwin. 
 
Ok, that's part one of what's sure to be a couple of posts. 
Feel free to comment and let us know you're reading, and let us know what you'd like to see us post about.

Until next time,

Jamie xo

No comments:

Post a Comment