Monday 4 April 2016

It's more than just comics



After finishing that last post about Dawn of Justice and the DC animated movies I thought it was about time I wrote about how I fell into my obsession with DC and the worlds it has crafted.



I work shift work on an even time roster, which means I have as many days off as on shift. This gives me a lot of free time to watch tv. Young Justice was the first DC show i started watching consistently, it's well written stories filled with amazing character development left me craving more and more. It was devastating when it finished. I ended up searching online for another, any other shows or stories in that world I'd fallen for.



After reading a list of the best animated series on television, I started watching Justice League / Justice League Unlimited it was no young Justice but it was still a great watch with good stories and a lot of unexpected feelsy moments. It gave me a better understanding and respect for the lesser known DC heroes and villains. But when i ran out of episodes of it I was once again left wanting more.




The next tv series I stumbled across was Batman the brave and the bold , a completely different way of storytelling, it was fun and a little campy. After seeing this I realized that there are just so many ways these characters could come alive and I am yet to find one I don't like or haven't enjoyed. I'd now resided myself to the fact I was going to start reading comic books (oh the shame, how will I live down the stigma). But which ones, where do I start. 
This is going to sound like an add but it's not, I downloaded the comixology app, it seemed like a good way to start. I decided on Green Lantern as the first series to read, I knew the least about them and was interested to find out if I'd like, I also started at the beginning of the new 52 run, it was the most recent reboot/rebirth point. I ended up loving it, I'd let the stigma of "comics" stop me for too long, I'd started getting hooked on the stories and characters, my regular reading list expanded from one or 2 titles to 34 titles at one point. I even back tracked and read the blackest night story arc in it's entirety, I'd been missing out on so much.



It's been a hell of a ride with DC, so  many great animated shows and movies, almost as many good-ish live action shows and movies(will talk about more in another post, this one is getting too long). and an amazing range of characters and stories to choose from. And with the announcement of Rebirth last week, I look forward to many more hours of entertainment.


                                                                                                        MAT

No comments:

Post a Comment