Tuesday 21 June 2016

The Cape Trip: Part 1




    Ok, so for anyone who isn't up with 4x4 driving in Australia most people who go 4 wheel driving will eventually want to do a 'Cape Trip' a drive to the northern most tip of Australia (the Cape York peninsula).  Back when I had the Mazda BT50 it was always the plan one day, but life got in the way, I never got around to getting the car ready for a trip that big and I'd grown apart from the people I used to go 4 wheel driving with.


So recently one of the guys I work with has started planning a trip up there and was looking for some of the other guys to come along on the trip (it's not recommended to do the Cape York trip as a solo vehicle in case you need to be pulled out of tough spots). Without even thinking about it I've said yes, damn, that gave me just over 12 months to buy a 4x4 and get it prepared for a trip of this size.



It's do-able but I don't have an endless budget or endless time but I'll give it a red hot go. I bought the car a couple weeks ago, a cheap and nasty Holden Rodeo.


Now the endless list begins of what I need to do/buy/modify on the car for a trip that'll take a couple weeks of 4x4 driving and camping.




Not much to go just everything, and that list doesn't even mention the 6 leaks I found under it at work last night or the stuffed tie-rod end, all repairable, I just need to pull my finger out and get it done (doesnt help that my garage is currently taken up by another car that I've pulled the interior out of, but that's a post for another day)

                                                                       MAT

No comments:

Post a Comment