Wednesday 18 May 2016

Tool box radio



It all started out as a little side project whilst I was an apprentice car mechanic in a little shop with a lot of free time on my hands.

I didn't have much money but had some spare parts so I cobbled together a working radio system using a second hand car radio, speakers, car battery charger, key switch form a petrol compressor(freebies), a tiny 12v battery and put it all together in a rusty old tool box from out the back of the workshop, it was ugly but it worked.

The second incarnation came 2 years later when we were moving to Queensland and lugging this big ugly rusty toolbox was impractical, so a quick trip to the hardware store later and I had a new container to house it all.

 Not quite enough room for speakers, and the car charger had to be disassembled to make it all fit but it worked.

The third incarnation came 4 years later when I was sick of lugging all the extra weight of the battery( which wasn't able to hold enough charge for the radio without the charger plugged in). The local electronics store sold transformers (240v AC to 12v AC), with the help of 4 diodes mocked up to make a rectifier to convert it to DC (needed for car radios).

This set up has been working great but recently I upgraded the radio (left over radio from an upgrade on my Mazda) and fried the transformer (my fault, crossed wires) this inspired a Fourth incarnation.


This time I've added a volt meter, USB charge points speaker terminals (for fast speaker changes) and 12 volt test points, for the little electrical jobs/testing I do at home.

The volt meter and USB charger.
The test points and speaker terminals


A bit of a wiring diagram of what is going on inside the box.













And a pick of whats going on in there








I know this was a bit of a boring post for those not into this kind of thing but it's been taking up some of my time this week. Promise next time it'll be more of a geeky post.

                                                                                                          MAT

No comments:

Post a Comment