Friday 2 September 2016

Site of the Month: Saberforge

Ok, I'm late putting this one out. August was really busy for me getting ready to go back to work after a year on leave. I've been thinking a bit about this and by far the site of the month for me is:
http://saberforge.com/

Mat and I are Star Wars fans, I mean clearly.
In the last few years, we stumbled across people with the most amazingly realistic sabers when we were at Cons, so Mat looked into it and found this little gem of a business. They started out on Etsy (in fact the store still exists on Etsy if you want to check that out too), but the website I've linked allows you to essentially customise a saber of your own.

Mat ordered one last year and when we got it, I mean wow. The thing is just so damn amazing. We got a green coloured blade and a soundboard. When the saber is on, the soundboard emits the standard lightsaber hum we all know, BUT, when you "battle" with it (swing it around, strike it against something) it is so responsive and the sounds emitted are just spot on movie accurate. There is also an added sound if you press the on button while the blade is on, which sounds like when a saber deflects a blaster shot. AMAZING!!!

Connor was super impressed with it too.

The site had a special on a few months ago, so I scored myself a saber. It hasn't arrived yet but I'm super excited. I got two light options for mine though: plain white (like Ahsoka) and then a multi colour one that will allow me to switch between colours.

The hilts are exceptionally well made, and as heavy as you would expect a lightsaber to be. Since Mat's one had the exposed crystal though, we must warn you, while it looks awesome, the crystal can get quite hot and it is a bit cumbersome to hold and swing the saber with the crystal chamber in the way. Still #noregrets

They are on instagram and YouTube as well if you want to check out some of the designs, but the website is very comprehensive.

But Jamie, I hear you say, I don't have a lot of cash to burn on this and they are so expensive!
Look, I know. It's a LOT for what some people would see as a toy. All I can say is that these are handmade excellence. They are customisable, and there's a lifetime guarantee on the blade component (within reason, pretty sure if you took a belt sander to it, they wouldn't replace it). This is an investment, but we have been really happy with what we've seen from them. Plus you don't have to buy the absolute top-of-the-line one.

I just want to note as well that this is in no way a paid endorsement. I have no affiliation with the brand at all, I just like their stuff.

ok, now that disclaimer is over, I'll attach a few pics of some of the sabers.






As always, if you like our blog, please subscribe via the little email box on the top right of the page, or leave us a comment letting us know you exist. we'd love to hear from you.

May the force be with you, always,

Jamie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment